Thursday, April 7, 2011

Zippo Emergency Fire Starter


OK, I will be honest here. I bought this little baby more for the cool factor than anything else. When my wife and I visited the Zippo/Case factory and museum in Bradford, PA. This was my souvenir. The Zippo Fire Starter.
I really thought that this would be nothing more than a cute toy, something that I would put in a case with my zippo lighters and forget about. But...
I started playing with it and have decided that I love this little thing. I am sure most of you are familiar with the Spark-Lite fire starter, it has been a standard of the military and survival folks for one hand fire starters since the 80`s. Well, the Zippo Fire Starter owes homage there. Instead of the familiar plastic box with several tinder-quick tabs and a separate one handed sparker you get a piece of solid zippo construction that begs to find a home in you pocket.


Encased in the body of a Zippo Blue lighter is a great one hand sparker and 4 easy light waxed tinder strips that are are very reminiscent of Tinder-Quick tabs but are longer and narrower.
I have found that these can be used almost like a match. Start them burning, get your tinder pile going then put out the tinder strip. Cut off the burnt end and you can easily reuse the remainder.
All this in a nice little package that was made for pocket carry. Its size and feel make it a natural to drop into your pocket when ever you head into the field.
Just to make it even sweeter you get that awesome and unmistakable zippo " click!" when you open it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment